Automatic Water Shut-Off Valves
Every home in the US has a whole-house shut-off valve that allows you to turn off the water to your entire plumbing system. This valve is usually found somewhere near where the city (or well) water enters your home. These valves are essential not only for ease of making plumbing upgrades but also to help prevent flooding and water damage in the event of a leaking or burst pipe.
The downside is that you have to hope that someone is home and able to turn off the valve when there’s a problem. An automatic water shut-off valve can eliminate that issue for you, giving you some peace of mind and protecting your home from water damage.
How Does an Automatic Water Shut-Off Valve Work?
If you’re having plumbing work done on your home, it’s sometimes necessary to shut off the water supply to your home, but it’s also necessary if you discover a leak or other plumbing problem. Sometimes, manual valves are difficult to access, or they’re rusted, broken or you may not have the right tool available to turn the water off, when you need to most.
Water leak detectors and automatic water shut-off valves are designed to eliminate those issues. Here’s how automatic shut-off valves (also known as smart shut-off valves) work:
- The automatic water shut-off valve, once installed on the main water line into your home, uses sensors to “learn” about your household’s usual water usage.
- The valve equipment monitors water flow constantly, enabling it to detect unusual water use, such as changes in water pressure, prolonged water usage (such as when a leak or burst pipe occurs), or other unusual water flow.
- Once this is detected, the automatic water shut-off valve will be triggered to close the valve, shutting off the water supply at the point where the valve was installed.
- These valves can often be connected to WiFi and even alert you via your phone or other devices if a shut-off is triggered.
Whole-House vs. Point-Of-Use Automatic Valves
The two basic types of automatic water shut-off valves are whole-house and point-of-use valves. Which one you choose will depend on your individual household and plumbing system.
- Whole-house automatic water shut-off valves, as noted above, are installed along the main water line in your home and, when triggered, shut off the water supply to the entire house.
- Point-of-use automatic water shut-off valves are often installed with appliances, such as refrigerator icemakers, dishwashers, or automatic washing machine water shut-off valves.
Automatic Water Shut-Off Valve Installation in Greensboro, NC
If you have questions or are considering installing water shut-off valves in your home, The Plumbing & Air Service Co. has you covered. Give us a call at (336) 502-8540 or schedule service online anytime.