Most every homeowner in the world has had to deal with drain blockage at some time in their home. There can be many reasons for clogged drains and it is not always that easy to locate the problem. This is why hiring drain cleaning services are necessary when dealing with a clogged drain.
Why Is My Drain Clogged?
- Leaves, Tree Roots, and Debris - Stray leaves and debris along with tree roots can wreak havoc on drains. Tree roots always grow toward the closest source of water, so they end up busting through lines to get to it.
- Fat & Grease - This problem is among the most common drain clog problems. When fatty substances get washed down the sink, they stick to the sides of the pipes and build up until they constrict the flow of water.
- Hair- Hair buildup is another common cause of clogged drains. Over time it only gets worse, until finally, the water backs up into toilets, sinks, and tubs. Hair traps help to slow this process down but are not 100% effective.
- Foreign Objects - Many times it is foreign objects causing the problem. Little bits of soap or food can get caught in the pipes, and other materials can start clinging to them as they pass by, until the flow finally is choked off by the buildup.
How to Prevent Clogged Drains
There are some preventative measures and corrective measures that some homeowners can do. However, serious clogged pipes will most usually need professional help.
- Watch what food waste items you toss down the garbage disposal
- Be mindful of what you flush down the toilet or rinse down the sink
- Discard of grease in the trash
- Invest in a drain guard or screen
When to Call a Professional Plumber
Sewer lines are one of the tougher problems - if tree roots have busted through the line, then they will need to be professionally replaced. A plumber can use a snake on the line and use some copper sulfide to attempt to clear out any remaining vegetation. However, replacement is more effective and usually a necessary remedy.
When homeowners hear knocking, rattling, and vibrating noises coming from supply lines, it could be caused by loose valves or washers. Many times this too will call for a plumbing professional to come to the rescue. When you cannot figure out what the problem is or what caused it, never hesitate to call your local plumbing company.
Are you looking for drain cleaning services? Look no further than The Plumbing Service Company, call us today at (336) 502-8540.